Book Care & Selection
Book Care RulesBook Selection
- Carry your books to and from school in your backpack. Keep them dry and safe.
- Keep books away from food and drink.
- Keep your books away from younger brothers and sisters who might think the books are a toy to write in or cut or color in.
- Keep books away from your pets.
- Turn pages carefully from the top right corner, not the bottom.
- Always have clean hands when you read your book.
- Always use a bookmark to save your space, never use objects not meant to be bookmarks or "dog-ear" the pages.
- Have a safe place at home to keep your books and remember where it is.
- Read it! Have someone read it to you! Read it again!
- Return your book when you are through, so others can enjoy it.
To see if a book is at the correct level or is a "just right" book for you, try this test:
- Pick any page from the middle of the book
- Read the page (aloud if possible).
- For every word you cannot pronounce or don't know the meaning of, put up 1 finger. (Proper names don't count)
- If you get to 5 fingers on one page, then the book is too difficult for you right now.
- 4 fingers up means that you could read it with some help, but you may not enjoy it because it will have to be read slowly.
- 2-3 fingers up means that you will have to decide if the book is one for you (read the summary to help you decide).
- 0-1 finger up means that it is a good choice, but may be too easy. Don't forget you need a little challenge.
- ENJOY whatever you select